1913 Model T Touring car

Pete Mandt

WMSTR Past President
WMSTR Lifetime Member
Here are some pictures of my latest Ford project. This car belongs to a friend of mine. He bought it from his neighbor that started restoring it ????? years ago. The engine was supposedly rebuilt and we were going to get it going last year. He brought me the engine first. It was nowhere near rebuilt. Had it bored, rods and mains rebabbited, crankshaft machined, all new valves and guides, adjustable lifters etc. Everything in the engine is new. The transmission was shot so we stopped until last week. He brought the car down last week. We ordered all the transmission parts, new tires and tubes and are just going to do the whole thing. Pretty nice old car. Looking forward to going for a drive.

IMAG0689.jpg

IMAG0689.jpg

Apparently I am an expert at posting the same picture twice. I did that for the Chevrolet and MOPAR people. They need to be reminded of Ford Quality.

Do you work on tractors any more???

You sure like the old Fords Pete. I am glad for you that there are enough of them left to keep you busy!

Can you find my wife one CHEAP???

Mark, I am still working on tractors. Have one I am finishing up for someone right now and another one that has been waiting since last fall to get fixed. Also have two more coming in for repair. Still love tractors but hard to pass on fixing a good old FORD.

I will have to admit that I have a problem though. Every rusty piece hauled in here is a new "bright and shiny object" that distracts me from the current project. My shop always looks like there has been a parts explosion involving many different tractors and cars.

You're not alone, Pete, with the "bright and shiny object" thing (although it is more "dull and rusty.") There are a few of us on our crew that can change projects if a fly buzzes through the shop and lands on something other than what we were working on ...how does that go..."its so pretty...!"

cars

Just came home from uptown. Pete and Vicky were there at a mutual friends birthday party. They were out for a romantic drive in that new fangled Model A, even had Andy along for a chaperone.

Started putting the T engine together today. First picture is of the remachined block with the crankshaft installed. Sorry for the poor pictures, looks like I need to work on my photography skills.
IMAG0694.jpg

Next step was to install the magneto coil assembly and flywheel to check clearances and magneto operation. Everything was good. Here is a picture of the coil assembly installed.
IMAG0695.jpg

Picture of one of the rababbited connecting rods.
IMAG0706.jpg

Checking piston fit.

IMAG0701.jpg

End of the day with the short block sitting in the car.
IMAG0707.jpg

Should be like Christmas here this week. Expecting tires and all of the transmission parts. Should be like Christmas the week after also. Will have a hood, radiator, wiring, all kinds of neat things to finish off the powertrain to make it driveable.

Been very enjoyable working on this when the owner wants to spend the money once and be done.

All of the transmission parts are here and the transmission is assembled. All new bushings, gears and a new low gear drum. Here is a picture of the main drive gear and triple gears. Not real complicated to put together if you follow the directions in a 1918 Dyke's Automotive Encyclopedia. These gears have to be assembled in a certain way or it will not go together.
IMAG0722.jpg

Completed transmission.

IMAG0730.jpg

Did some simple work after completing the transmission. I installed the new coils in the coil box.

IMAG0731.jpg

Before any Model T experts beat me up I know that is not the correct coil box for a 1913 T. That will be corrected later.

Pete

Pete Mandt;10496 said:
Before any Model T experts beat me up I know that is not the correct coil box for a 1913 T. That will be corrected later.

I'm glad you cleared that up! The first thing I thought when I saw that picture was... hey... that is the wrong coil box for a '13 T! :rof:

That transmission looks like a planetary drive of some kind. Is that how they worked? I wish I could be there to see how it goes together. Might understand how the pedal system works then.

Someday I want to drive one!

I wasn't sure how much I should post about this car since this is a WMSTR forum and I did not know if the car would ever go there. While the owner was here this weekend he said I could take it to Rollag if I wanted so I am pretty sure I will have to drive it up.
On Saturday evening we installed the engine. Did not want to scratch the engine paint and I don't have a lifting sling so we resorted to the old V-belt method. Nothing like puttting alot of money in something and then hanging it by an ancient V-belt. We got by with it.

IMAG0777.jpg

IMAG0785.jpg

Engine sitting in the frame on Saturday night.

IMAG0792.jpg

Apparently Vicki's photography skills are poor also. She is responsible for these blurry pictures.

Pete

Here are a couple of shots of the T running on Sunday. You can tell they are action shots because of the steam out of the radiator and the blurry rear wheels. I have never started a T that had been completely rebuilt before this one. Engine and transmission are amazingly quiet compared to the ones I am used to.

IMAG0802.jpg

IMAG0803.jpg

New front tires showed up today, still waiting for the rears. Got the metal stem tubes with the brass nuts and caps. Makes for some nice looking wheels and tires.

IMAG0806.jpg

By the way if you are looking at Clayton's thread you can see that my shop and work area is much messier than his. That just means I am busier and getting more done. Not wasting all that time sweeping up, got stuff to do.

Pete

Pete Mandt;10519 said:
Apparently Vicki's photography skills are poor also. She is responsible for these blurry pictures.

You guys have to stand still... quit jumping up and down while you are taking pictures! :rof:

Hmmm. I think I like Pete's theory on the shop neatness. There must be alot of productivity in our shop that we don't even know about!!!!:rof::rof::rof:

The T is on the road. Here it is leaving the shop this afternoon. Ended up putting about 15 miles on it.

IMAG0820.jpg

Mom and Dad taking the T for a ride.

IMAG0825.jpg

Vicki and Monte riding in the back seat of the T.

Photo0172.jpg

Waiting for the new brass radiator and the new hood. Also need to install the rear fenders. Runs great.

Pete

Looks like Monte is bored with the Ford ride. I'll have to take him for a ride in the Binder sometime. There won't be any wind in his face so his eyes won't water!! :biglaugh:

In all seriousness Pete, looks like it was an extremely fun day.

That is looking good Pete. I bet it was fun with a good tight engine and transmission. I am working on getting my 28 Chevy to the point I can start reassembling it. I got motivated this winter to finish it. I am almost ready to start painting but want to get to the fun reassembly part.

Keep posting pictures.

Darren

cjmlarson;10555 said:
Looks like Monte is bored with the Ford ride. I'll have to take him for a ride in the Binder sometime. There won't be any wind in his face so his eyes won't water!! :biglaugh:

Clayton, I imagine that old Binder wouldn't go fast enough to make anyone's eyes water, even without a windshield:rof:. Even if it is incredibly slow it is a damn nice looking truck. Wish I had one.

This Model T is so fast I had to dig out my old biker goggles that I have not worn for 20 years.

Darren, this car is a treat with all the new engine and transmission. I have never driven one like this, hate to drive any of mine again after this one. Kind of neat to hear how good one can sound and also how bad one can sound and still stay together.

The car owner is supposed to be here tomorrow and we are going to spend the afternoon cruising in his T and my A. Should be fun.

Pete

Here is a picture of a happy Model T owner after his first drive last Sunday. I was with to train him in on driving it, not because I thought it would break down.

IMAG0832.jpg

Here we are getting in for the next ride. Vicki snapped this picture and then hopped in with us for a ride. First full carload for this car in many years but like any other Ford it handled the load really well and exceeded expectations. :thewave:

IMAG0835.jpg

Still waiting for the new brass radiator and the new hood.

Pete

Been kind of quiet here lately waiting for the new radiator. It showed up today. I fit up the radiator and hood and went for a drive.

IMAG0867.jpg

Here is a better picture of the new hood and radiator. By the way it is not leaking, the puddle under the car is from the overflow tube, it was completely full when I started it.

Photo093.jpg

Back